Cùng Monkey ôn tập lý thuyết và thực hành với chuỗi bài tập thì quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn với đầy đủ các dạng bài tập từ dễ đến khó. Sau khi hoàn thành, bạn hãy check đáp án để kiểm tra độ hiểu bài của mình nhé!
Tóm tắt lý thuyết thì quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn
Định nghĩa: Thì quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn (Past Perfect Continuous) diễn tả hành động, sự việc đã đang xảy ra trong quá khứ và kết thúc trước 1 hành động, sự việc khác cũng trong quá khứ.
S + had + been + V_ing + O
When I looked out of the window, it had been raining.
(Khi tôi nhìn ra ngoài cửa sổ, trời vẫn đang mưa).
S + hadn’t + been + V_ing + O
When I looked out of the window, it hadn’t been raining.
(Khi tôi nhìn ra ngoài cửa sổ, trời đã không còn mưa nữa).
Had + S + been + V_ing + O?
Had it been raining when you came here?
(Có phải trời vẫn đang mưa khi bạn đi đến đây?)
WH - question
WH-word + had + S + been + V-ing +…?
S + had + been + V-ing…
How long had it been raining before I woke up?
(Trời đã mưa bao lâu trước khi tôi tỉnh dậy?)
1. Diễn tả 1 hành động xảy ra trước 1 hành động khác trong quá khứ. (nhấn mạnh tính liên tục của hành động)
VD: I had been thinking about that before you mentioned it.
(Tôi đã luôn nghĩ về điều đó trước khi bạn nhắc đến).
2. Diễn tả hành động vừa xảy ra, tiếp tục đến khi hành động thứ 2 diễn ra. (Hành động thứ 2 dùng quá khứ đơn). Thông thường, khoảng thời gian được nêu rõ trong câu.
VD: The men had been playing cards for 3 hours when I came.
(Người đàn ông đã chơi bài liên tục trong 3h khi tôi đến).
3. Diễn tả 1 hành động, sự việc để chuẩn bị trước hoặc là nguyên nhân của 1 hành động, sự việc kế tiếp trong quá khứ.
VD: I gained three kilograms because I had been overeating.
(Tôi đã tăng 3kg vì tôi đã ăn uống quá độ).
4. Có thể sử dụng trong câu điều kiện loại 3 để nói về điều không có thực trong quá khứ.
If they had been working better, they would have been achieving the first prize.
(Nếu họ làm việc chăm tốt hơn, họ sẽ dành được giải nhất.)
Dấu hiệu nhận biết
Để nhận biết thì quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn cũng như tránh nhầm lẫn với thì quá khứ hoàn thành, bạn có thể dựa vào một số liên từ trong câu.
For: trong bao lâu
Since: kể từ khi
How long: trong bao lâu
Until then: cho đến lúc đó
By the time: vào lúc
Prior to that time: thời điểm trước đó
Before, after: trước, sau
100+ câu bài tập về thì quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn
Cùng Monkey thực hành một số dạng bài tập cơ bản và nâng cao trình độ với chuỗi bài tập nâng cao dưới đây:
Tổng hợp bài tập cơ bản (Beginner)
Bài 1: Cho dạng đúng của động từ trong câu
1. I (work) all day, so I didn't want to go out.
2. She (sleep) for ten hours when I woke her.
3. They (live) in Beijing for three years when he lost his job.
4. When we met, you (work) at that company for six months.
5. We (eat) all day, so we felt a bit ill.
6. He was red in the face because he (run) .
7. It (rain) and the road was covered in water.
8. I was really tired because I (study) .
9. We (go) out for three years when we got married.
10. It (snow) for three days.
11. I (not work) there long when she quit.
12. She (not work) but she was tired anyway.
13. It (not/rain) long when I got home.
14. He was in trouble with the teacher because he (go) to classes.
15. We (live) in London for three years when we got married! It was more like five years.
16. Although it was hot in the kitchen, Julie (cook).
17. I (sleep) long when there was a knock at the door.
18. He didn't feel healthy because he (go) to the gym.
19. I caught a cold because I (eat) properly.
20. She looked tired but she (study) .
21. When you got sick, (you/eat) enough?
22. There was water everywhere. What (the children/do) ?
23. (it/rain) when you left the restaurant?
24. How long (she/live) in London when she found that job?
25. Why (you/study) so hard?
26. Why was the house so messy? What (she/do)?
27. How long (we/wait) when the bus finally arrived?
28. How long (he/play) football when he was injured?
29. (I/work) that day?
30. (she/see) him for long when they moved to Paris?
Bài 2: Cho dạng đúng của động từ trong câu
1. We (sleep) had been sleeping for 12 hours when he woke us up.
2. They (wait) at the station for 90 minutes when the train finally arrived.
3. We (look for) her ring for two hours and then we found it in the bathroom.
4. I (not / walk) for a long time, when it suddenly began to rain.
5. How long (learn / she) English before she went to London?
6. Frank Sinatra caught the flu because he (sing) in the rain too long.
7. He (drive) less than an hour when he ran out of petrol.
8. They were very tired in the evening because they (help) on the farm all day.
9. I (not / work) all day; so I wasn't tired and went to the disco at night.
10. They (cycle) all day so their legs were sore in the evening.
Bài 3: Chọn đáp án đúng
1. I had been using that phone for a year .......................................................................
A. when I bought it B. when it stopped working
2. George had been phoning Kate ..............................................
A. before he crashed B. several times
3. ............................................ because I'd been exercising all afternoon.
A. I have enough of it B. I had enough of it
4. Sarah had been going out with me ...................................................................................
A. until she changed her job B. after she changed her job
5. We'd been writing ........................................ before lunch.
A. three tests B. tests
6. They had been decorating their bedroom. ........................................................................
A. The paint was everywhere. B. It was ready to use again.
7. I'd been eating vegetarian meals ....................................................... when I gave up.
A. three times B. for three years
8. ..................................... he had been sailing on big ships.
A. Before my dad retired B. My dad was a sailor and
9. Somebody had been drinking my apple juice. .....................................................................
A. There was nothing left. B. The glass was nearly empty.
10. I'd been chatting with my friends........................................................................................
A. that's why my mum was angry
B. that's why my mum had been angry
Bài tập nâng cao kết hợp thì quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn & quá khứ hoàn thành
Bài 4: Hoàn thành câu bằng cách cho dạng đúng của động từ trong ngoặc
1. I __________ (wait) for hours so I was really glad when the bus finally __________ (arrive).
2. Why __________ (be) the baby's face so dirty? He __________ (eat) chocolate.
3. I __________ (see) John yesterday, but he __________ (run) so he was too tired to chat.
4. It __________ (rain) and the pavement __________ (be) covered with puddles.
5. When I __________ (arrive) it was clear she __________ (work). There were papers all over the floor and books everywhere.
6. They __________ (study) all day so when we __________ (meet) they were exhausted.
7. The boss __________ (talk) to clients on Skype for hours so she __________ (want) a break.
8. I __________ (drink) coffee all morning. By lunchtime, I __________ (feel) really strange!
9. Lucy __________ (hope) for a new car, so she was really pleased when she __________ (get) one.
10. I __________ (dream) about a holiday in Greece. I couldn't believe it when my husband __________ (book) one as a surprise!
Bài 5: Hoàn thành đoạn văn sau đây
Pauline and Jennifer are talking about their experiences of having a personal trainer. Fill in the gaps with the verbs in brackets and you need to use all the words in the brackets.
Pauline: I joined a gym a few years ago. I have to say I lost a lot of weight, and I still go now!
Jennifer: That´s great, I’m glad it made a difference! (ever think) about it before?
Pauline: Yes, well actually I (have) problems with my health, so I decided to join.
Jennifer: That was also my situation. I (always hate) the idea of going to the gym until I finally booked in with a personal trainer, now I love it! I didn’t really like my first session, I
(train) only for 5 minutes and already I was tired, so I tried to cheat my way out of doing the exercises. However, my trainer (see) many students like me before, and knew exactly what to do with me! He was a great trainer, but he left 2 years ago so now I have someone else. It’s not easy to change trainers as they have different styles.
Pauline: He (be) your trainer for long?
Jennifer: He (train) me for 2 years before he left the gym. He (want) to stay but he had to leave for medical reasons. I (only just get used to) to his style of training when he left, so it has been difficult to adapt again.
Bài 6: Chọn đáp án đúng
1. She was very tired. She _____ (type) letters all day long.
A. has typed
B. has been typing
C. had been typing
D. had typed
2. I ___________ (wait) for her for hours before she came.
A. had been waiting
B. has been waiting
C. had been waited
D. had waited
3. When I arrived home, my mom ______ (already cook).
A. had already been cooking
B. have already been cooking
C. had been cooking already
D. already had been cooking
4. She ________ (teach) chemistry before she became a journalist.
A. had teached
B. had been taught
C. had been teaching
D. had been teached
5. I was very nervous while holding my speech. I ________ (never stand) in front of so many people.
A. hadn’t never been standing
B. hadn’t been standing never
C. had never been standing
D. had been standing never
6. Jenny was annoyed. Jim _______ (call) her every night for the whole week!
A. has been calling
B. had called
C. had been calling
7. Her eyes were red. It was obvious that she _____ (cry).
B. have cried
C. had cried
D. had been crying
8. I was really relieved when I found the documents. I _________ (look for) them whole morning.
A. had been looking for
B. had looked for
C. had been looked for
D. had been looked
9. When I first met Ann, she _____ (work) in Samsung for 15 years.
A. had worked
B. had been working
C. have been working
10. I _____ (work) for Exxon for 15 years.
A. have been working
B. had been working
C. was working
11. Before I came to Northern Europe I ___________ snow!
A. had never seen
B. had never been seeing
12. When police were investigating the road accident, they discovered that the driver ___________ 2 road accidents before.
A. had been involved in
B. had been being involved in
13. When we ___________ the tour of the city, we decided to go and eat in a local restaurant.
A. had done
B. had been doing
14. When I got home, I realised that while I ___________ someone had stolen my wallet!
A. had walked
B. had been walking
15. The service at the restaurant was very slow. I ___________ all of my meal before my friends’ meals arrived!
A. had already eaten
B. had already been eating
16. We ___________ for nearly 100 kilometers before we finally found a service station where we could have a rest.
A. had driven
B. had been driving
17. I ___________ the idea of going to a fitness centre, but when I went to one for the first time last week it was actually pretty fun!
A. had always hated
B. had always been hating
18. We watched the film The Godfather last night. We ___________ the film about 3 times before, but we watched it again because John __________ it.
A. had seen
B. had been seeing
Đáp án bài tập thì quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn
1. had been working
2. had been sleeping
3. had been living
4. had been working
5. had been eating
6. had been running
7. had been raining
8. had been studying
9. had been going
10. had been snowing
11. hadn't been working
12. hadn't been working
13. hadn't been raining
14. hadn't been going
15. hadn't been living
16. hadn't been cooking
17. hadn't been sleeping
18. hadn't been going
19. hadn't been eating
20. hadn't been studying
21. had you been eating
22. had the children been doing
23. Had it been raining
24. had she been living
25. had you been studying
26. had she been doing
27. had we been waiting
28. had he been playing
29. Had I been working
30. Had she been seeing
1. had been sleeping
2. had been waiting
3. had been looking for
4. had not been walking
5. had she been learning
6. had been singing
7. had been driving
8. had been helping
9. had not been working
10. had been cycling
1. had been waiting - arrived
2. was - had been eating
3. saw - had been running
4. had been raining - was
5. arrived - had been working
6. had been studying - met
7. had been talking - wanted
8. had been drinking - felt
9. had been hoping - got
10. had been dreaming - booked
Pauline: I joined a gym a few years ago. I have to say I lost a lot of weight, and I still go now!
Jennifer: That´s great, I’m glad it made a difference! Had you ever thought about it before?
Pauline: Yes, well actually I had had or ‘d had problems with my health, so I decided to join.
Jennifer: That was also my situation. I had always hated the idea of going to the gym until I finally booked in with a personal trainer, now I love it! I didn’t really like my first session, I had been training only for 5 minutes and already I was tired, so I tried to cheat my way out of doing the exercises. However, my trainer had seen many students like me before, and knew exactly what to do with me! He was a great trainer, but he left 2 years ago so now I have someone else. It’s not easy to change trainers as they have different styles.
Pauline: Had he been your trainer for long?
Jennifer: He had been training me for 2 years before he left the gym. He had wanted to stay but he had to leave for medical reasons. I had only just got used to his style of training when he left, so it has been difficult to adapt again.
Bài tập quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn là một trong những dạng bài tập khó và dễ nhầm lẫn với các thì quá khứ khác. Do đó, bạn học hãy ôn kỹ lý thuyết và thực hành thường xuyên với các dạng bài tập Monkey chia sẻ trên đây nhé!
Chúc các bạn học tốt!
The Past Perfect Continuous - Ngày truy cập: 10/06/2022
Past Perfect Continuous Tense - Ngày truy cập: 10/06/2022
Past Perfect or Past Perfect Continuous? Advanced Exercises - Ngày truy cập: 10/06/2022